Early breakfast and off the check the cruisers. Notice a distinct lack of oil in the site glass, so after our 8.00am departure first stop is 500yrds for some oil
The Umbrail Pass is very close, just up the road into town, turn left between two buildings and up. When I say up I mean up, as in 'side of mountain'. We got to the top in an hour,and it took us another hour to get down the other side.
Next Gavia, slightly higher and just as tough. The only blessing is that the sky is clear and the sun is shinning. finally make it through and onwards to Tonale.
Begin to realise that this is not going to be a pushover and head off to find fuel and stop for lunch. By now it is really hot and with only three passes gone I am beginning to realise that lack of ability, the difficult roads means success, just like the GB Olympic Team, is ebbing away - if it was ever there.
We get lost going through the only major town on route, which is the only option we have for a road to take us back to Mustair. A further 10 miles up the road I pull in. It is 3.00, allowing for a quick lunch stop we have been on the bikes 7 hours and TomTom tells me my average speed is just 24mph! Not even half way with four passes left and only five hours to do them in. It's not going to happen and I tell Bob and Dave that I am heading for home and defeat!
Stop for coffee on the way back and return to notice an oil patch under the left pot, so it will be a gentle ride back to the UK. Will investigate more tomorrow, haven't the energy tonight
Rest day tomorrow.
To all those riders who have completed the challenge, well done but slow down you will die!!!
Sent from my iPad
No comments:
Post a Comment